Saturday, June 10, 2006

RECHARGABLE HURRICANE FAN


Barry writes from the cutting edge:

Now that you've been threatened with bodily harm if you let your generator run all night long, here's something to help you get through those sweltering, A/C-less nights.

Two summers ago when I was sleeping in a hammock, 15 feet up in a tree seeking a lofty breeze, all I wished for was a fan. ANY fan. My mini-model threw but a whisp past my forehead and lasted a mere 3 hours on 4 C-cell batteries. No good. So this year I decided to do better.

With a little internet research I found the hitherto-unknown-to-man TEN INCH battery powered fan. This thing actually moves some air! Thing is, you have to stuff it with 8 (EIGHT!) D cell batteries which they claim will run the thing for a whopping 72 hours.

Skeptical?

Me too. So here's my solution to never ending fandom.

I sacrificed an old 12volt power converter with an adapter end which fit the fan (probably from an old portable phone - and since I save EVERYTHING I had several) and cut the power supply end off. If you're not a pack-rat like me, you can use the power adapter that comes with the fan.

Separate and strip the wire ends and attach a pair of alligator clips, making sure to get the polarity of the tip correct; positive to the tip, negative to the outside. Often the wires are marked or you can use a continuity device. Hook up to a big ole lawnmower, motorcycle or car battery and sleep knowing the thing isn't gonna quit on you at 3 am. During the day use your generator and a battery charger to keep the battery up to snuff.

This method should keep you AND your neighbors cool, since your generator won't be getting anybody hot under the collar. Plus, your gas supply will last at least twice as long! (An unopened fridge will stay cold all night long and will maintain ice when run intermittently during the day as long as you're not staring into it wondering what's good to eat.)

Sources:
O2 Cool fans sold at CVS, Walgreens, Publix & more. $19.99
http://www.o2-cool.com

Technical advice: Harry Tuttle, heating engineer, 329 Churchill Rd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home